Saturday, February 6, 2021

Football in February... It's Happening!

Happy Super Bowl Eve, Sports Mamas! I hope you've been well. I mentioned in my last post that Fall football had been canceled due to Covid and that Virginia was exploring possibly playing in February. Well, guess what? It's February and FOOTBALL IS BACK!!! I am so excited, mamas. It has been a whole 15 months since I've been in those stands. Where is my cowbell?!?!

For those of you unfamiliar with February weather in Virginia, let me give you our current 5 day forecast:

  • Today- High of 51, Low of 34
  • Tomorrow- High of 42, Low of 19 (NINETEEN!!!), 1-3 inches of snow expected
  • Monday- High of 37, Low of 26
  • Tuesday- High of 49, Low of 29
  • Wednesday- High of 37, Low of 29, snow showers possible

I'm cold just thinking about it! But there is NOTHING in the world that will keep me from cheering at the top of my lungs for my boy! (Unfortunately only No. 1 will be playing as No. 2 has decided to take a break this season- more to come on that in a future post). 

So how am I prepping for this unprecedented football season? For starters, I bought a new coat. It's a parka with a faux-fur hood. I also restocked on hand warmers and am on the hunt for a good pair of long johns. Let me know if you have any recommendations! But what I am most excited about is the heated stadium seat Coach Hubby ordered me. It arrived yesterday and I can't wait to test it out. I'll have a full review after our first game, so be sure to stay tuned!

The weather isn't the only thing that will be different though. One of the biggest differences is the length of our season. There will only be six regular season games as opposed to ten. This will greatly impact the playoffs, making every single game extra crucial.

Our stands will also look very different. Spectators will be extremely limited; every player will be allowed just two spectators per game. So no big, loud, crazy student section this year. There will also be no cheerleaders, band, or color guard. Us parents will need to bring the noise!!

The players and coaches are also feeling the effects of Covid/February football. No weight room or locker room access. Helmets aren't coming home as they have to be sanitized daily. Players must also bring a gallon of water to each game and practice as there is no sharing of water bottles. They must also wear mesh coverings on the inside of their face masks.

Despite all of these changes, we are all super grateful that our boys are getting the opportunity to play. Praying for a healthy, injury free, successful season for our team and ALL of the other young athletes strapping up for Football in February!





GO SPARTANS!

No comments:

Post a Comment