Sunday, September 30, 2018

Team Mama Idea: DIY Big Head Cutouts!

Homecoming 2018 is in the books! I still can't believe I'm the mama of a high schooler. Crazy! It was such a fun week. There were spirit days (i.e. Jet Lag Monday aka pajama day, Peace Out Wednesday aka tie-dye day), a pep rally, a parade, the game (we WON!), and the big dance, of course!


No. 1 and his Freshman football teammates marched in the parade alongside their class float and the cheerleaders. Us mamas wanted to do something special to catch their attention, so we made our own big heads!




They were quite simple to make and only a fraction of the cost of the ones they sell online. Want to make one to cheer on your favorite athlete? Just keep on reading!


All you need:


  • Cardboard (I found mine at my local craft store)
  • Scissors or X-Acto Knife
  • Glue
  • Large photo of your athlete (Most stores with photo departments can print them in under an hour. Don't forget to check for a coupon! For reference, my photo is a 20X30.)
  • Optional: mounting stick





All you do:


  1. Glue your photo to the cardboard. (I started with a glue stick but ended up switching to liquid glue.)
  2. Allow the glue to dry.
  3. Cut "the head" out.
  4. Cheer on your athlete!




The team loved them! They all clapped, cheered, and pointed as they walked by.




Us Frosh mamas were definitely the most spirited (and noticeable!) ones there! But you don't have to have a high schooler to make one. Take a look at these proud JMU mamas cheering on their boys. Go Spartans! Go Dukes!




For more fun ideas and to connect with hundreds of REAL Sports Mamas just like yourself, be sure to join the Confessions of a Sports Mama Facebook Group today!




*** Check out these big heads made by some of the awesome mamas in the group:




























12 comments:

  1. How much did it cost you to make these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! It really depends on the size of the big head that you decide to create. For the 20x30 in the actual step by step portion, about $15 ( I used a coupon to print the photo). I recently made smaller ones (see very last picture). Those were about $10. All I had to buy was the board and picture since I already the adhesive. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

      Delete
    2. who did you print them with?

      Delete
  2. Is there an adhesive that works best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, just seeing this! I originally used a regular glue stick but now use Scotch Multi-Purpose Spray Adhesive. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  3. How detailed did the photo need to be? Was curious if the resolution was blurry any with it needing to be blown up. Also, any ideas of where could blow these photos up? Didn't know if there was a certain chain store that could.

    Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay! The better resolution, the better the print out. I will say that some of my mama friend's used pics taken on their iphones and they printed totally fine! I've always used Walgreens (because they always have a 40% photo coupon online. Costco does it as well. I think most photo places have the capability of doing them. Let me know if you need anything else! :-)

      Delete
  4. Do you print in glossy or matte?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember ever having to specify, however I believe ours are always glossy. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  5. What size photo did you use in the last picture? You mentioned that they were smaller than the 20x30. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I can't remember, sorry. I do remember that it was the biggest size that Costco had. Hope that helps!

      Delete