Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Track Mama Survival Tips

I thought my days of being a track mama were long gone as No. 2 stopped running years ago. But lo and behold... I'm baaaack! No. 1 ran track for his high school this past Spring. He competed in the 200, 400, and the 4x100 relay. Coach Hubby and I enjoyed watching him race and more times than not, we stuck around to watch his teammates compete in the other events.

Track meets can be super long. Here are my tips to help you be as prepared and comfortable as possible:






  • Get your hands on a schedule. Unless you don't mind arriving hours before your athlete's event, of course. As previously mentioned, track meets are long. They literally last hours. The meet may begin at 3pm and your athlete may not step foot on the track until 6. I don't know about you, but I can think of a handful of things still outstanding on my to-do list.
  • Dust off your stadium seat. Or cushion. You're going to be doing a whole lot of sitting. Ain't nobody got time for bleacher butt!
  • Layers, layers, layers. Weather can be so unpredictable. Especially in the Spring. I remember one specific meet where I began in short sleeves, sipping an iced guava black tea. By the time we were about three quarters of the way through, I was shivering in a hoodie wishing I had my heated stadium seat with me. Brrr!
  • Sun protection. Sunglasses, sunblock, and your favorite cap. Because its always sunnier in the stands. 
  • Take out some cash for concessions. Your athlete will thank you later. So will your stomach if they are selling those Chick-fil-A sandwiches. And if you're a high school track mama, you will probably need cash to get into the meet.
  • Pack your camcorder. Or phone. Many of the events last mere seconds. We recorded all of No. 1's races so that we could watch with him and share with family and friends as well.
  • Enjoy every moment. I've said it before and I'll say it again. And again. Time truly flies mama. No.1 is heading into his Senior year. One more year of high school sports. It is so very bittersweet. Take all the pictures, buy all of the spirit wear, cheer as loud and be as proud as you absolutely want to. You will never get this time back with them.


I hope you find this post helpful! To connect with thousands of real sports mamas, just like yourself, be sure to join the Confessions of a Sports Mama Facebook Group!

No comments:

Post a Comment