Wednesday, January 12, 2022

I Will Miss Those Friday Night Lights...

High School football has come and gone for No. 1. I honestly can't believe it. I still remember his first youth game; he scored two touchdowns, one of which sent us into overtime. His first game on the Freshman team; he played quarterback, safety, and was the punter AND field goal kicker (we won 20-0!). And of course his first Varsity start, he threw for 375 yards and 6 touchdowns...in 30 something degree weather!




It's so very bittersweet.  


I will miss driving him and his teammates to and from practice; hearing them talk and laugh about what happened, rolling down all the windows trying not pass out from the smell of their pads.


I will miss waking up while it's still dark outside to take them breakfast to eat after 6am walk-thrus. The looks on peoples faces when they walk past me and the 75 bananas in my grocery cart. True story! I struggle to wake up for work, but somehow could always pull myself out of bed for the team. Hearing them whisper "we have the best team moms EVER" definitely helped!


I will miss feeding the team and coaches their pre-game meals. Man, can those boys put away some food! Them coming together to say "Thank you, Moms!" when finished. Luckily, I always recorded it so I can look back and reminisce whenever I feel like it.


I will miss spending time with my favorite football mama BFF's. Selling spirit wear together, our trips to Costco, our craft nights, coordinating our game day outfits. Cheering, laughing, and crying in those stands together. Loving each other's boys the way we love our own.


I will miss those Friday nights, under the lights. The band, the cheerleaders, the colored smoke as the boys run out of the big helmet. The student section chants, hearing Sweet Caroline being played on the loud speaker, and ringing my cowbell of course.




I read a quote online and I couldn't agree more; "Football is not a lifetime sport... but high school football IS a once in a lifetime experience".


Youth sports; The days are long, but the years are short. WAY TOO SHORT. 




Enjoy every moment, Mama. You'll be touring colleges before you know it.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. It's so hard when one of the things that has defined your family's life comes to an end. Hopefully his future holds just as much dedication, passion, camaraderie and fun off the field. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww this is touching. I just signed my 11 y/o up for Tackle football and today is his first day of training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this! While the boys no longer play football but lacrosse..it still resonates the same. It is a group of current and past football players and the Moms carry the same traditions on!! Onward to college tours 😱

    ReplyDelete