Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Sports Mama Tip: What's In My First-Aid Kit?

Cuts, bumps, scrapes, and bruises... they're bound to happen. Especially in youth athletes. And nothing is worse than being unprepared when they do!


So, what should you have in your Sports Mama First-Aid Kit?


Here's a look at mine:







As you can see I don't have your typical "box". In fact, I don't have a box at all. I use a gallon-sized Ziploc bag and a few sandwich-sized bags to group similar items together. I like it because it's see-through (which comes in super handy, especially if someone other than myself else needs to find it), easily portable, and it doesn't take up too much space (yet still holds a lot) in my Sports Mama Bag!


And here's what's inside:








  • Band-aids (all sizes)
  • Antibiotic ointment
  • Antiseptic wipes
  • Burn cream
  • Eye wash
  • Gauze pads
  • Instant cold packs
  • Adhesive tape
  • Ibuprofen
  • Antibacterial wet wipes
  • Cotton swabs
  • Disposable gloves
  • Extra Ziploc bags (to add ice to, if needed)


Most youth coaches carry a majority of these items with them. However, my boys have been on a couple of teams where the coach didn't even have an ice pack.


The moral of this story is that it is better to be over prepared than underprepared. They say "to be prepared is half the victory". And as a Sports Mama, any quote with the word victory in it speaks to my soul!






Do you keep something in your first-aid kit that I don't? Let me know in the comment section below!




*** Is your athlete dealing with sore muscles? Click HERE for my tips on helping ease the pain!

2 comments:

  1. I also keep kids chewable ibuprofen and acetaminophen, the smaller ones can't always swallow pills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to just now be getting back to you. Your comment was stuck in my spam filter. Chewable pain meds are a GREAT idea! I will definitely be adding some to my kit. Thanks!

      Delete