Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Our Trip to D.C.

I was born and raised less than 6 miles from Washington D.C., in Arlington, Virginia. I could, and literally would watch the Fourth of July fireworks (you know the real-deal ones that people come from all over to see?) from a rinky dink bridge hovering over Route 50 right outside of my old middle school. Yep, I was that close.


As a child, I never really got all the fascination with our Nation's Capital. What was so amazing about "the big pencil" as I use to call it? I saw it all the time.  As an adult, I now get it. My family and I are frequent visitors to the Smithsonian's National Zoo, National Air and Space Museum, National Museum of National History (what boy doesn't like dinosaurs, right?), the cherry blossoms, The Wharf (no summer is complete without fresh crab legs and jumbo shrimp. And the corn, you cannot forget the freshly steamed ears of corn!), and The Verizon Center (The Wiggles, WWE, the Washington Wizards, you get the point).


Trying to figure out what to do on an unusually warm December Sunday, I thought to myself "we've never been to the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool before". I've seen so many amazing pictures, but had yet to have captured any myself. So I packed up the camera, the boys, and we jumped in the car. After about a 25 minute drive (I now live a little further out) and an additional 15-20 minutes looking for parking, we were there!





Boy, was it beautiful! The mild temperature, the diverse groups of people, the day was absolutely perfect.






















We ended our day of sightseeing with a trip to Cold Stone Creamery. History and ice cream, it
doesn't get much better than that.


No comments:

Post a Comment