Friday, October 28, 2016

Football Cake & Cupcakes

No. 1's birthday always falls during football season (usually on a practice night). Well, this year it falls on a game day, so what better way to celebrate than with his teammates and a football cake AND cupcakes!




Here's what you'll need for the cupcakes:


  • Boxed cake mix
  • White frosting
  • Burgundy icing color
  • Gold decorating gel
  • Gold cupcake liners


I began by baking the cupcakes according to the instructions on the box. While they cooled, I worked on my frosting. I won't even lie, burgundy is a tough color to achieve! I feel like I had to use a ton of icing color, and they still didn't turn out as burgundy as I would have liked. Oh well. Once they were completely cooled, I iced and then added each player's jersey number to them.




On to the cake. Here's what you'll need:


  • Boxed cake mix
  • Chocolate frosting
  • White decorating icing
  • Football shaped cake pan


I again followed the instructions on the box, changing nothing except for the type of pan I used. I purchased a football shaped cake pan from Michaels. Don't forget to use a coupon! Oh yeah, the pan also called for a longer baking time than the box did. When the cake was completely cooled, I took a serrated knife and sliced off a tiny bit of the middle so that when I flipped it, it would be leveled. Before removing it from the pan, I took a butter knife and went around the sides to loosen it up a bit. After that, I flipped it over, gave it a bit of a pat, and out it came!


I began decorating the cake by icing it with a very thin layer of the chocolate frosting first, also known as a crumb coat. When the crumb coat was applied, I stuck the cake in the fridge to let it set. Once it was set (no longer sticky to the touch), I added the final, thicker layer of chocolate frosting. I then took the white decorating icing (which already had a piping tip attached-I love that!), and drew on the laces. That's it! It was my first attempt at a football cake, and I must say, I really like the way it came out!




It's also my turn to bring snacks to the game. For halftime fruit, I sliced several navel oranges (click HERE to see how I do it) and placed them in snack sized baggies. For post-game snacks and drinks, they will have Gatorades to help wash down the cupcakes. I also grabbed some goldfish crackers for the little siblings.


I can't wait to share them with the team tomorrow. Go Admirals!






*** Update: We won! Victory never tasted so SWEET!!!







*** Here's my most recent take on football cupcakes! I used blue liners and orange sprinkles to match our new team colors as well as chocolate icing for the "footballs" and white cookie icing for the "laces". Easy peasy and the team loved them! #WINNING










*** Click HERE for my basketball cupcakes and HERE for my soccer cupcakes! ***






No comments:

Post a Comment